Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Daily Quote: November 30, 2010

"I always felt like writing -- or the urge or need to write -- was a detriment. That was because I couldn't make it go away. Oh, and it was such a painful process -- like ingesting some medicine that you knew would tear the dis-ease from you. In fact, writing felt a bit like a disease or poison floating around in my blood.

As a young writer I would beg God to make it go away, this insatiable need to put words down on paper. Like a person swearing chastity, I would promise myself I would not write on a given day -- which would hopefully turn into weeks, then months, then a lifetime. But eventually the agony of not-writing would set in and I'd find myself under a tree with a pen and pad jotting short, mediocre poems.

It took nearly forty years for me to come to a place where I could accept a love-hate relationship with writing. And to accept the fact that what I considered mediocrity -- or what critics told me was just bad writing -- simply didn't matter. I mean, it's far more important to express ourselves than to worry about what others might think. And, as everyone knows, practice makes perfect and it's really all about progress and not perfection! Just go for it and you'll find improvement wending its way into everything you do!

When we create anything, we are expressing the divinity from within; we are giving voice to God/dess's Voice (or the Voice of whomever or whatever is the symbol of inspiration for us.). Even if we are not "that good at it", we are still celebrating our own lives in a way that no critic can rightfully demean and nobody else can do for us. Celebrate life, give voice to the Universe, and (co)create anyway you can!!"
-- Michael Walker Share this post :
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on StumbleUpon
Share on Delicious
Share on Reddit
Share on Digg
Share on simpy
Share on Technorati
furl Share on furl
Feeds RSS Subscribe to Feeds RSS

No comments: