Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Why you should consider buying through DREAMWalker Group: Explained



Simply put: my website at DREAMWalker Group provides an easy way for people to use the companies from which they normally buy books (and other items) -- with a twist.  


I take 40% from my commissions and use that to sponsor literary events and literary organizations. 


This isn't a gimmick -- though is sounds gimmicky! -- but it IS a way for all of us to give back to the suffering literary community.  I show right on my homepage how much I've currently earned and how much of that is slated for the literary community.


Let's face it: the literary community is under siege.

The Dying Bookstore Business Model (by The Electronic Author — News and Information for Self-Publishing, Site of Author Wallace Wang) explains better than I can right, here and now, what's happening now to and in the literary/commercial world.  It's terrible.  Small local bookstores -- the ones where you can actually browse or sit down and read part of a book -- are fast becoming a dinosaurs, or worse -- deceased.


And it's particularly horrific for bookstores that cater to specific groups -- such as travel bookshops, educational bookstores, and LGBT bookstores (see Gay Bookstores: A Dying Breed – an article by Jesse Monteagudo.)  


Heck, even the big ones are going under!


Now I'm not going to get all high and mighty and say I don't use Amazon.com or other online stores to buy my stuff -- because I'd be lying big time.  In my busy world, where I'm self-employed and trying to ilk the most productive time out of my day, it's just easier to buy on line and have a package waiting the next day.  That's the plain and simple truth.


Long story short: we're running out of options.  Pretty soon the only place to buy will be online.  Sad, unbelievable, unconscionable, unfair?  I guess it is what it is, so ...


Knowing that I'm probably no different than a lot of other folks, I decided to just make the items available on my website -- and then return 40% back to the community -- my community -- which is primarily the literary community.  Sure, others could use the money, but the authors, editors, publishers, and bookstores are really hurting.


I can't know for sure -- but I'm guessing the big companies aren't giving 40% back to causes -- any causes (except, possibly, political ones).  We can -- and ought to.

So please buy your things on my site -- and you have my promise to give 40% back.   And visit me daily to see how my numbers are doing!  Your visiting will help Google search engines, etc., find me.

Remember, 40% of $100 is only $40.00 back to literary causes; but 40% of $1,000,000 is $400,000.00 ... money literary causes could really, really use -- and soon.



The rest of the money will go to helping maintain this site and pay my mortgage, food, and running my small business.  One I reach a certain income ceiling -- say $15,000 -- I'll change the percentages and give even more to literary causes.  And dedicate my own time to writing more!


So please consider using my site to help authors, editors, publishers -- at least this way the money will be going back home.


Thanks for your consideration -- with gratitude,


Michael Walker
DREAMWalker Group
http://dreamwalkergroup.com
Washington, DC



p.s.  Incidentally, I also do completely-free-of-charge web profiles on my site for authors -- contact me so I can set your up today!
Share this post :
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on StumbleUpon
Share on Delicious
Share on Reddit
Share on Digg
Share on simpy
Share on Technorati
furl Share on furl
Feeds RSS Subscribe to Feeds RSS

No comments: