Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thoughts on pouring, scary rain


Went to see The King's Speech tonight ... which I officially vote (so far, anyway) as the Best Movie of the Year ... and then settled into The Playbill Cafe for a sublime dinner of a house salad with ranch dressing prior to an entree of beef liver and onions with a side of broccoli.

All standard fare -- the evening, I mean, not the liver and onions -- for a Tuesday evening that has 1/3 of the country in the grip of fear resulting from the predictions doom and dismay by weather women and men because of possible winter weather mayhem.

Whatever.

The point of this post is what happened as I was thinking of leaving the cafe to go out into the pouring rain.

"You should take a bus," said a new-found bar mate (yes, I had to eat my liver at the bar).

"A bus?"

"Yes," he said, "You won't get so wet."

"Where will it take me?" I asked.

"The bus?"

No, I thought to myself. A moon rocket. Of course the bus.

"Yes, the bus."

"To U and 14th Street," said he.

"Well," I said, "I'd still have to walk three blocks in the rain to get to my apartment."

"Yeah," he replied, "But's it's less walking."

Less walking, I thought. Huh. Less walking.
When, I wondered, did walking become such a bad thing?

Then I thought back one and a half hours to the time I was leaving the movie theater. Given the choice of walking up the steps to the street level or taking an escalator, 100% of the people rode the escalator. (I don't count myself trudging almost gleefully up the steps because, statistically, I'm negligible.)

Not one, well other than me, seemed to see the value of actually exerting themselves one iota. Perhaps the idea of burning one calorie of the popcorn, beer, hot dog, or candy seemed abhorrent for some reason.

So what has become of the people of this world?

When did taking a bus six blocks to avoid exercise or rain become preferable to a casual walk in nature?

Oh, wait, there's the rub (maybe). So many people consider the city to be a place of concrete and steel -- far removed from the natural world. Ergo -- take a bus, what does it matter?

But, don't you see? The city is as much a place of nature as the Bonnie Doone. It has air and rain and clouds to watch drifting up over the buildings. (Of course, it doesn't have dog pods because that's one part of nature -- excrement -- that city dwellers want to imagine (make believe) doesn't exist. And if it does exist, of course, it's rife with disease and chicken pox, or something.

LOL.

So we sit in our homes watching MSNBC or Fox -- feeling our blood rage as a result of media-induced fearful weather fantasies, all the while avoiding a seven-block walk in the pouring, scary rain.
Share this post :
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on StumbleUpon
Share on Delicious
Share on Reddit
Share on Digg
Share on simpy
Share on Technorati
furl Share on furl
Feeds RSS Subscribe to Feeds RSS

No comments: